If there was just one thing to be learned from Carly Rae Jepsen’s Call Me Maybe, it would be that EXCEPTIONAL CRAFT is paramount to opening the doors to success, especially in today’s mainstream music industry. If the song wasn’t as strong as it is, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez would never have picked up on it, tweeted about it, and in the end help launch the song, and Carly Rae Jepsen into virtual overnight superstardom.
This “perfect storm” of a Pop song is a great example of what it takes to make it in today’s mainstream, and can help songwriters and producers of all levels take their craft to the next level. Below is a sneak peak at some of the things we explore in Call Me Maybe Deconstructed:
- K.I.S.S. and keep it clever! If your goal is to write Pop songs geared for success in the mainstream, keeping your song “simple,” clever, infectious and exceptionally well crafted is of the utmost importance. Remember, people shouldn’t have to “work” to get into in your song (and trust me, they won’t). Your song should instantly engage your audience and keep them engaged. This is especially important for success in a radio and digital environment. Want a perfect example of this? Look no further than Call Me Maybe.
- The vast majority of Call Me Maybe’s structure (41%) is comprised of that super infectious, memorable chorus. Add in the bridge and breakdown sections (which possess the chorus theme as well,) and you’re looking at whopping 66% of the song’s total composition. Want to foster memorability? This is the way!
- Balancing familiarity and originality within your songwriting is vital to fostering success in the mainstream Pop market. If your song is TOO ORIGINAL and goes against the grain of everything else out there, the chances of you finding widespread success are limited (unless you get lucky like Adele or Gotye – but their songs aren’t too far left of center either). On the flip side, if your song is TOO FAMILIAR and you sound just like everyone else, the chances of you becoming a “breakout artist” are very slim. Combine the two effectively (as was the case with Call Me Maybe,) and you just might find yourself with a world-wide hit on your hands.
Read this report to:
- Get an in-depth rundown of all of the elements that went into making Call Me Maybe a global hit, including structure, lyrics, melody, momentum and much more.
- Tips on how to incorporate these elements into your own songwriting and producing to help take your craft to the next level!