Calvin-Harris

Electric Vs. Acoustic

For the seventh consecutive week, 60% of all songs within the top 10 feature PRIMARILY ELECTRIC based instrumentation within the mix. Two of the category's representatives are the top two songs within the U.S., "Rude" and "Fancy."Hot 100 Top 3 Spotlight - Electric Vs. Acoustic…

Go to chart
140329-john-legend

First Chorus Occurrence

The MODERATELY EARLY (0:20 - 0:39) and MODERATELY LATE (0:40 - 0:59) first chorus occurrence categories remain tied at the top for the third week in a row, each accounting for 40% of songs. On the flip side, there haven't been any songs that immediately…

Go to chart
adam-levine

Genre

For the third consecutive week, 50% of all songs within the top 10 are first and foremost POP songs. Amongst the genre's representatives is the #1 song within the U.S., "Rude." DANCE and R&B/SOUL remain tied as the second most popular for a third week…

Go to chart
Nico-and-Vinz

Intro Length

The 3:00 - 3:29 song length category remains at #1 for the third consecutive week, accounting for 40% of top 10 hits. "Fancy," "Maps," "Problem," and "Wiggle" all fall in within this range. The 4:00+ category follows close behind, accounting for 30%. Hot 100 Top…

Go to chart
sam-smith

Lead Vocal

For the seventh consecutive week, 70% of all top 10 hits feature a SOLO MALE lead vocal. The DUET/GROUP vocal category holds steady as well, accounting for just 30%. The category is represented by "Fancy," (Iggy Azalea & Charli XCX) "Problem" (Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea…

Go to chart
Magic

Lyrical Themes

LOVE/RELATIONSHIPS is once again the most popular lyrical theme within the top 10, accounting for 70% of songs. It has remained at the top spot for the past 14 weeks, and currently represents the #1 song within the U.S., "Rude." Hot 100 Top 3 Spotlight…

Go to chart
disclosure

Primary Instrumentation

ELECTRIC GUITAR, PROMINENT BASS and THE SYNTH remain tied as the most popular instruments featured within top 10 hits, each playing a key role within 50% of songs. PROMINENT DRUMS/BEAT/PERC follow at 40%, and PIANO rounds out the top three at 30%. Hot 100 Top…

Go to chart
john-legend-2

Record Labels

The three-way tie at the top between COLUMBIA, INTERSCOPE and WARNER BROS. continues for the second week in a row, each accounting for 20% of songs. Interestingly, none of these labels represent the top three songs with the U.S., "Rude," "Fancy" and "Stay With Me."Hot…

Go to chart
derulo-and-snoop

Song Length

The 3:00 - 3:29 song length category remains at #1 for the third consecutive week, accounting for 40% of top 10 hits. "Fancy," "Maps," "Problem," and "Wiggle" all fall in within this range. The 4:00+ category follows close behind, accounting for 30%. Hot 100 Top…

Go to chart
grande-and-azalea

Song Title Word Count

ONE WORD TITLES rule for the tenth consecutive week, accounting for 70% of top 10 hits. Amongst the category's representatives are the top two songs within the U.S., "Rude" and "Fancy." The other 30% feature three words within their title. Hot 100 Top 3 Spotlight…

Go to chart
sam-smith-2

Songwriters

For the second week in a row, the two, three, five and eight writer categories remained tied at the top, each accounting for 20% of songs. "Summer" is the only song that features just one credited writer ("Calvin Harris"), and "Wiggle" features the most at…

Go to chart
maroon-5

Sub-Genres & Influencers

STRAIGHT-UP POP remains the top sub-genre/influencer within the top 10 for the third week in a row, playing a key role within 70% of songs. R&B follows at 60%, and DANCE rounds out the top three at 40%. Amongst the songs that feature a prominent…

Go to chart
iggy-2

Title Appearances

The 6 - 10 title appearance category holds onto a commanding lead within the top 10 this week, accounting for 60% of songs. It's been at the top since the second week of June. The 21+ and 11 - 15 categories remain tied at the…

Go to chart

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE THE
HSD Charts - It's FREE!




CHARTS

CHART LEGEND

  • Increase in position from last week
  • Decrease in position from last week
  • Constant position from last week
  • New entry
  • This Week
    TW
  • Last Week
    LW

ABOUT THE HIT SONGS DECONSTRUCTED CHARTS

Published weekly, the Hit Songs Deconstructed Charts provide you with unique insight into today's hit songwriting trends by spotlighting the characteristics driving the Billboard Hot 100
top 10.

Use these charts to stay in-the-know and current in a fast changing musical landscape!

Learn More